Tuesday, November 2, 2010

The next treatment plans

Last week I met with my medical oncologist (the guy who deals with the chemotherapy / radiation side of things). He went over my pathology with me from the surgery (the results after testing the tissue that was removed during surgery).

[side note: I don't know how many people know these terms, because I surely didn't before all of this, so just thought I'd explain everything as simply as possible for all to understand]

The results:
- I have stage 1 cancer (yay!!!)
- The tumour was 1.4cm (I can't believe such a small thing can disrupt my life so much!)
- It seems like they got everything out and nothing has spread

So a pretty good pathology!!

But.....because of my young age, they want to be aggressive. I have alot of years left to live! This cancer can re-occur in the future and there could be minute cancer cells that have spread through my body which cannot be detected right now. Also, luckily breast cancer is quite treatable, but if the cancer were to come back in another part of my body, it could be more difficult to treat. So considering all of this, chemotherapy was recommended, followed by some hormonal drugs for a couple years after. I agreed that this is what I want (Yes, I have a choice), because I want to get rid of this cancer for good and hope that it never comes back!!

The date is set for my first treatment on November 10. Pretty soon! Yes I feel nervous! But the sooner I start the sooner I finish! I will be getting 6 treatments, 3 weeks between each. Well with the bitter cold winter quite near, I guess its a good time to be cuddled indoors under my blankie! Although, I don't plan to be lying in bed all the time.....you'll be seeing me around!! Excited to show off my new wigs!! :)

4 comments:

  1. Big hug! You're so positive chica.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Kristal,

    what an ordeal you are going through! My Mom just got her 5 year clean bill of health from Stage 1 breast cancer. She did a lumpectomy and then 8 rounds of chemo and then radiation. Chemo is tough but with your spirit I know you will come through it fighting all the way. Lots of positive thoughts and prayers sending your way. Rock those wigs!

    love Sarah-Jane Kidman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Kristal,
    may almighty god grant you health, strength, and patience, in this trying period of your life.
    be strong girl! will say a prayer for you.

    Katija Mohammed

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much everyone! :) All the positive thoughts and prayers help me to be strong! So they are much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete