Friday, October 29, 2010

The first step to recovery

I went to see the surgeon one week after I found out my diagnosis. I was sent for an MRI, and they saw that there was a second lump in the same area now! Sooo, the surgeon recommended that I have a mastecomy (removal of the whole breast....eeeeek!). Well, at least I'm small chested, so its not going to make that much of a difference!

The surgery date came....Sept 30. I wasn't as nervous as I expected I would be....at first. There was a class that was mandatory to attend prior to the surgery and it went over what I should expect and how to take care of myself after. This was quite unsettling to hear, but it did make me feel a little more prepared I guess. Also, there were about 7 other women in the class who were all going to go through the same thing, and I thought "If they could do it, then so can I!"

But as I sat there in my not-so-flattering blue hospital wear, I couldn't help but feel anxious. I mean....I've never had surgery before really (besides removing my tonsils and wisdom teeth). Its scary stuff!! Here's me quite anxious before surgery:




They finally called me in, and I did shed a few tears as they wheeled me to the surgery room. The worst part was waking up to alot of pain and discomfort in my chest and arm.......but they immediately told me that everything went well and that the lymph nodes tested were negative (this is a good thing because it means the cancer has likely not spread). "Yaaay negative lymph nodes.....DAMN MY ARM HURTS!!!".

But once the pain killers kicked in, and my body stopped shivering, I was just fine. I got to go back to my room and be with my loved ones. Lots of visitors came by with flowers which decorated up my room quite nicely. I was finally allowed to eat ....woohooo (as they made me stop eating and drinking midnight the day before). Here I am after surgery feeling surprisingly good:



Don't know what they were giving me through the IV, but it must have been good stuff!!

At this point I had a drain coming out of me (just below my chest) which was not the nicest thing. Luckily I only got 1, instead of the 2 they originally said I would need. And it was removed within 4 days, rather than the week or 2 which is normal. I guess its the perks of being young and having a small chest to start off with! :)

The only problem with the drain is that I had to carry it around with me for the 4 days. I got a camisole from the hospital which had little pockets to put the drain in, or I would just pin it on the inside of my shirt....definitely couldn't wear anything tight/sexy. And when I showered, well I needed help....I held the drain while my mummy or bf sponged me off....thank god for them!!

But now, over 4 weeks after, I'm drain free, pain free and can move my arm alot more than before. Slowly I'm doing more and more exercises and stretches for my arm. Hoping to be dancing again soon :)

4 comments:

  1. Hello Kristal, My name is Beverly Lee and I know your Mom and Dad very well. Actually I met you last year quite fleetingly while in Canada. You were with your Mom and I was with Patrick and Helen Lee who are my in-laws. We were in Canada to visit my bro-in-law Don Lee who is himself battling cancer and is in hospital as I write this note. When I fist heard the news of your surgery I felt so sorry for you, being so young and having to experience having a mastectomy, but you know what Kristal, I realise that you are a beautiful young woman with a very positive attitude and you are not sitting back and feeling sorry for yourself. You are such an inspiration to me and I am sure to many others and your parents must be so proud of you. I mean, here you are, having to face a very big challenge in your Life and you can still see the positive and humourous side to the situation, when I sometimes squabble about the slightest and far less important things, you have taught me a lesson and I thank you. I continue to pray for your speedy recovery and I look forward to reading your blogs as you progress, know that I am walking beside you too. Love and hugs Beverly Lee, Diego Martin, Trinidad. p.s. Glenn and Jenny Lee Yuen are my cousins as I know you know them as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Beverly, thanks so much for your comments! Yes I remember meeting you very briefly. Mom and I actually bounced up Don and Rita at the hospital one day when I was there. He seems to be doing good:) Hope everything is well with you! I really appreciate hearing from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kristal. :) You don't know me, but I've seen you perform before at a salsa event and remembered saying to myself what a beautiful dancer you are. I am invited to your event coming up in May and stumbled upon a link to your blog. I just wanted to let you know that reading your blog is very touching and inspirational. My mom is a cancer survivor as well and I can understand the initial shock and emotional rollercoaster you must have gone through. I'm glad to have read that you have finished your last cycle of treatment and on the road to recovery! :) I occasionally work in the Chemo treatment area of my hospital and it's always a great feeling to hear that bell ring! So congratulations on becoming a cancer survivor. I wish you a comfortable recovery and I hope to see you in May or on the dancefloor soon! :) Cheers and God Bless.
    -Maureen C

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Maureen! Thank you...I really appreciate your message:) I look forward to seeing you in May or before that on the dancefloor. Please make sure to introduce yourself to me! All the best, Kristal.

    ReplyDelete