Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Youth In Time

A few weeks ago I went to a Head Wrap workshop at the hospital. I learnt some of the African head wrapping techniques, and it was so much fun! The women who run the program are amazing. They're so full of positive energy, and they volunteer their time to do this because they love to see the smiles on the faces of the cancer patients!

When I was at this session they informed me of a new program that they were now starting up, this time with a focus on the youth (under 30.....Yay I'm still a youth!!). "Youth In Time" was developed to help the youth battling cancer. Its a program where we can meet up once every 2 weeks, and just have fun!! For their first project, guess what we're making....ok I'll just tell you....a Carnival/Caribana costume!! As this is such a big part of my Trinidad culture, I couldn't be more excited! I've worn the costumes, and been admiring them from since I could remember, but I have no idea what making one entails. So I'm really thrilled to be a part of this!



Our first meeting was last week, just for us to get acquainted with each other, and discuss the plans for the next few months. It sounds very promising. Thanks Paulene, Naza and Judiene for making this happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment