Saturday, January 8, 2011

I have the "easy" cancer

Recently I started Yoga classes, and its been sooo good! There's an organization here called Wellspring that offers support to cancer patients, and they have free classes available! Its a 5 minute walk from my place, so I decided to try out the Yoga...gentle Yoga to be more specific...since I can't really do anything too strenuous. I find it very relaxing, and it just makes me feel like I'm getting rid of the toxins in my body and clearing my mind of all things negative. You should see me doing the cobra and the tiger .....the instructor says I'm a natural!! :)

So at the last class I went to this week, there was a lady there for the first time. Bald like me, she said she was finishing up her treatments and wanted to start back Yoga. One of the other guys asked her what kind of cancer she had, and she said "Breast Cancer."

He responded with "Oh you have the easy cancer!"

The easy cancer?? She was thrown back by that comment. "Well it definitely doesn't feel like the easy kind to me!!"

I kinda chuckled to myself at this conversation. The man quickly explained himself saying that he meant its a treatable cancer....that he meant "easy" in that Breast Cancer no longer seems like a death sentence because they have developed good treatment programmes to deal with this type of cancer.

I guess that is true. Breast cancer is the most common type of cancer found in women, so they've done alot of work on this type of cancer. Also, the breast isn't a vital organ in the body, so its easy to just cut it out and get rid of the tumour. Then do some chemo, maybe radiation, and within a few months you're back to life as normal (for the most part).

This poor guy had lung cancer. He told me he's been going to that place for 5 years now, so I guess its been a long battle for him. And you can't just cut out your lungs and continue life as normal, can you?? I also know of another young woman who had cancer in her leg, and had to amputate the whole limb!

So maybe I do have the "easy" cancer. But yeah, if this doesn't feel easy, I can't imagine what the "difficult" ones feel like!

No comments:

Post a Comment