Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Treatment # 4 tomorrow.....Eeeek!

Tomorrow morning is my next treatment....#4. The next 3 treatments are going to be a different cocktail to what I've been given so far. Its called "Docetaxel" or "Taxotere". I'm nervous again cause these side effects won't be the same as the last one, and I don't know how my body will react exactly. But I haven't been given good encouragement.......I've been hearing that this drug is going to be tougher, make me more tired and "It's like hell!! "....greaaaaaaaaaaaaat!

I got a sheet with a list of possible side effects. I can expect some of the following:
- Muscle aches
- Eye tearing
- Red, itchy skin; skin shedding
- Nail changes, yellow-orange colour or becoming brittle
- Water retention in arms and legs
- Numbness and tingling in hands and feet

Well this should be fun! (sarcasm intended!!)
For the last treatment they had some problems finding my veins for the IV so they had to stick me 3 times, and I ended up with a big bruise on my arm (which is only now disappearing!!). I actually did cry...I'm a bit more emotional these days ok!! :P  I didn't realize how frustrating it would be to get stuck with a needle like that over and over again. Now I have a new fear of needles!!

Also because the drugs are so toxic, my veins seem to be collapsing. My arm hurts where I got the IV's put in, and the veins look more purple than blue/green.

But enough complaining! They say its important to keep a positive mind. I hope tomorrow goes better (only one poke of the needle please please please). And let there be free cookies!! YaY!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you got the cookies! (And that it wasn't as bad as you feared... From the above it sounded potentially horrendous. :-|)

    ReplyDelete