Thursday, December 2, 2010

Fertility Issues

One of the main issues I have to face is my future fertility. The oncologist let me know right away that one of the chemo drugs I would be given will definitely decrease my chances of having children as it is harmful to the ovaries. Alot of women's periods actually stop while they're on this chemo regiment, and for many of them, it never comes back, pushing them into early menopause.

For the younger women going through this "cancer experience", this is more of an issue than with older women, and for me, it is probably one of my biggest concerns. I don't have any children as yet, but I would definitely love to have one day.

I went to see a fertility doctor to discuss my options, which are as follows:

1) Freeze eggs - This would involve taking some hormone drugs to help stimulate the eggs for "harvest", and then taking out the eggs via a needle after a few weeks. The problem here is that it would've pushed my chemo treatments back because I won't be able to start chemo until the eggs are taken out. And I would risk having the hormone drugs stimulate the cancer cells as well. Also, even if they do freeze the eggs, there is not sure chance that the eggs can later be developed into an actual baby because this is somewhat new territory still, and not quite perfected.

2) Freeze embryos - This is alot more certain than freezing eggs, but would involve getting sperm to fertilize the egg and then freezing the embryo that is developed from that process. Uhhhh....problem......what sperm do I use??? I have only been with my boyfriend for 6 months now, so I think its a bit much to request some of his sperm at this point in the relationship!! (Maybe taking things a little too fast there!!) And the other option is to get sperm from a sperm donor.....sorry, I'm just not comfortable with that idea!! No thanks.

3) Do nothing - Since I am younger and have alot of eggs left, there is a good chance that my periods will resume after I'm done with treatment, and I would still have a chance of having babies. Soooo, this is what I have decided. Just have to pray that it will work out. And I believe what is meant to happen will happen....but fingers crossed still!! :)

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear you're feeling better after the first week. It'll definitely be a blessing to be able to enjoy getting out and about during your 2nd and 3rd weeks after treatment. The fertility issue is a really tough one. Thanks for being honest and sharing it. I'll be praying for you in this area. Enjoy the show tonight!

    Love,
    Julia

    ReplyDelete